How To Do A Prison Inmate Search

If you are looking to locate a particular prisoner for whatever reason, doing a prison inmate search online is an easy way to locate them and the best part is that it if free of costs as this is public information. Before you start your search, be prepared with as much information as you can get about the prisoner. This is because often you may come across many prisoners with the same name or initials and knowing some additional information can help in refining your search to narrow down the results.

prison inmate search

The easiest source for doing a prison inmate search is to look up the website of the Federal Bureau of Prisons as it provides a listing of every prisoner ever held in a federal prison going back to records starting from 1982. However, this search only lets you find information about prisoners who have been given a prison sentence for a federal offense. In case you cannot locate the prisoner you are looking for on the federal database then chances are that they are in State or county prisons.

If searching the federal website is not successful, then you should next try searching online on the websites of the State correction facilities. This is a lengthier process as you may have to search around 37 different state websites to find the person you are looking for. This may be either a State department of corrections or the State Division of Prisons – it varies from one state to another. Doing a prison inmate search on the state correction facility websites is not only time consuming but also does not guarantee results as not every correction facility will have the prison records uploaded for online access.

If you still cannot locate the prisoner, then chances are that they could be in a county jail and this makes it even more difficult to locate them as not all counties have their records online. In such cases, it may be a good option to try using other networks that offers prison inmate search for free.  Some of these websites offer information of current crimes that are being tried and the status of the prisoners. If you are aware of the trial, which the prisoner you are looking for is involved in then this could give you an indication of his status. In addition, these websites provide links to each of the state correction facilities or division of prisons that makes your search process easier.

To begin your search, click the red Inmate Search button below.


  1. icey wyatt says:

    how do i find out when my son will be transferred from county jail to a state prison no one at the jail can tell me they say they dont know please help me to know and understand how this works . the inmates name is edward melvin henderson he was sentenced to 3 yrs

    • John says:

      RE:edward melvin henderson -
      Generally how that works is, After he goes to his sentencing date, and the judge imposes his sentence, Normally the officers will wake him up around 4:30 Am that following thursday, his books will be zeroed out, which means he wont be able to communicate with you and let you know. If he was in Montgomery County Correctional Faculity, He will than go to Graterford, He will be in intake there locked down for 21 hours a day for about 3-6 weeks, He will be able to make phone calls if there was money on his books before he left for there, Once he leaves there he will be transferred to CampHill SCI. He will remain there until they decide where they will send him, they wont tell him nor you where he is going to go, because they do it for saftey reasons I guess. So he wont know when he leaves Camphill where he is going either. Basically at Camphill they classify him, meaning seeing if his crime was violent or non violent, and other things that go in as well to see what type of jail he will be put into low security medium security or maximum security. I hope this information was helpful to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask…

  2. Jinelee says:

    i am on the inmate finder and it has no where you can put who your looking for to get their address to send them things, my nephew just got tranferred from florida to the monroe county jail in rochester ny and i am trying to get his addy to send him maybe some money or a letter but cant do that with no address it sais how to do a search but no search bar to type his name into

  3. cristopher r says:

    i want to know about my brother when is hes day out, how his doing and the things he does and what is he doing.

  4. Amber says:

    Wanting 2 know if kenneth s. is being released b4 his out date which is dec 10th 2012

  5. Nel says:

    I’m trying to find an inmate that had been in Gadsen then taken to Polk County. was sentenced. Information says. Hold for Gadsen CF. I cant find her at Gadsen. ty

  6. RJsMom says:

    I have been attempting to place funds on my sons phone account so he can be involved with family while he is in. He was moved to an ISF at East Texas Treatment Facility. The facility uses icsolutions to deposit funds for telephone calls. When I went to the link via a search my computer went wacky. A black box flashed super fast on my screen and then all my program icons vanished, theinternet web browser was changed to a site called “white smoke”. I went to my internet options and reset but nothing would process…That being said, I launched a request for them to check their site. ICsolutions rep I spoke with said there were false icsolution sites linked to google searches and I must only hit their site by using the web address bar. I asked the rep. to process a payment to my sons phone account to allow him to call folks of his choosing. When the rep looked for my son he was not found in their system…searches done both by birthname and inmate id, but to no avail. I telephoned East Texas Treatment Facility and asked them to check his number/name and explained the issue. He is in their system, correct number and correct name. It was elevated to supervisor level. Any suggestions on how I should proceed. Have been working on putting $ on his account since last week, always the same glitch, he is not found. Any suggestions appreciated.
    RJs MOM

    • Dee says:

      I’m thinking you may have to set up a JPay account in order to add funds to your sons account. Before you do, be sure to ask the facility where is located if they offer the JPay services. Hopefully this bit of info helps. I’m trying to figure out how to reach ICSoulutions rep regarding my situation where I’m trying to set a up a phone number so my girlfriend can call me, but I’m not sure who to contact. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  7. kendall says:

    I’m have a heck of a time finding my fiance. She was transfered from Polk county is. Jail to mitchilleville prison in mitchville is. And the searches r all so crazy to use. Is there any simpler way to find out. She had money on her books when she was transfered. But the its been four days and Havant heard from her.

  8. vanessa says:

    How do I get a inmate to stop sending me letters I have no idea how he got my address and I have no clue who this guy is ….

  9. yasmin says:

    I would like to know if Northeast Oklahoma correctional center inmates have a limit on using the phone to call loved ones, or they can call whenever they can? Please I need an answer thank you

  10. kim says:

    How do I find out exactly which prison my daughter went to in Georgia I think she went to arrendale state prison (the women prison) in alto but how do I find out to write her and put money on her books

  11. renee h says:

    Im trying to get my sisters doc number. Inmate search wont pull her up…what and how do i get it. Offices are closed by the time i am able to call. Please help me

Leave a Reply to renee h Cancel reply